Saturday 27 September 2008

Week 2 – A hard slog

Once upon a time I consistently updated my blog. In those days I was stronger, faster and could jump higher. After a year in the tropics I have lost most of my fitness and have a huge uphill struggle to get back into shape.

Each week I’ll document my training. This will motivate me to train harder.

Last week was a big week by any standard.

On Sunday, three members of my Trailwalker team set off to train on the MacLehose Trail. The toughest two sections are sections 3 and 4. Both are awarded a three star rating, the most difficult. It was a really hot day and I set off with 8 litres of water in a backpack. For those unfamiliar with the Maclehose, it is described as the hilliest terrain outside Nepal. Traversing the MacLehose 100km is like climbing Mt Everest and descending again. I don’t know if this is true but I can tell you the hills are unrelenting. And last Sunday it was very hot and humid. For about 7.5 hours we slogged away at those hills. One of the guys blew up and needed to be helped to safety. He was all puffed up and hyponatraemic.

I had a relatively relaxed week (except for working through one night and being lured into a boozy business dinner in Taipei on Thursday) then hit the Mac again on Friday night. Leaving at midnight and going through until 8am. A nice 8 hour hit out. It’s been a long time since I did a “through the night”

Next weekend I’ll be in Beijing so things will be more relaxed. When I get back I’ll do more Maclehose and have a crack at the section that includes Needle hill. See below



Week 2
Sunday – 7.5 hrs on the Maclehose trail – Hard, Hilly, Hot, Humid
Monday – 30min easy
Tuesday – 1.5 hrs 5 x big hill repeats
Wednesday – rest
Thursday – rest
Friday – rest
Saturday – 8hrs through the night on the Maclehose trail

1 Comments:

At 15 November 2008 at 3:42 am, Blogger undercover brother said...

hey welcome back dude!
those are some nice 'training runs'!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home